Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Randall Made Model 23 GameMaster Stacked Leather Handle, brass guard

Randall Made Model 23 GameMaster Stacked Leather Handle, brass guard from '70s


4 1/2" O1 Tool steel blade
Top Edge NOT Sharpened making it NY legal 
Single Square Brass hilt that has been rounded by me. I actually do that for other customers as well. 
Red White and Blue spacers
Stacked Leather handle with Duralumin butt and a large bolt. (Newer knives have a small bolt and shorter butt)
Brown leather Johnson rough back sheath with stone pouch and stone and smooth button snaps.

The knife is used by me.  I've had it for a couple years.  Mostly kitchen work, but did field dress a couple pigeons with it.  Yep, pigeons.  I live on a farm.  Was doing a test of this knife compared to a Ward Gay model 20, ESEE 3, another 23 with O1 steel, a Model 22 and Gerber Gator.  I've found that this knife, along with quite a few others, is just not making it out of the "user stable" to go out and get used.  So, I'm thinning the herd.   

My thoughts on this knife.  I want to keep it. :-)   Great blade length.  Very hefty being forged from 1/4" stock.  Great balance.  As this is an older knife, it was made when Randall left some steel on the blade.  Every older knife I have weighs 10% more than it's new twin.  This one had a particularly thick grind down to the edge.  Basically made the edge more of a chopper than a skinner or "Game Master" as the name would imply.  I reprofiled the edge to a beautiful edge that is very sharp and will slice and skin yet is thick enough to go through bone if you want.  I knocked off the edge on the top of the blade as I live in NY and frankly don't want some overzealous Game Warden to confiscate the knife because it is "double-edged".  I know a court ruling would be in my favor, but know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the knife would be missing from the evidence locker.  I wrote an article about the "rounded square hilt" in which I expound on the fact that the regular square hilt is very uncomfortable to use, but rounded, it feels great, and gives your thumb a larger surface to push against for those type of cuts.  I do it to all my square hilt knives and have customers specifically ask for me to do that to their Randall's. 

This Model 23 will kick the proverbial butt of any new Model 23.  It is made as they should be made.  It is even beefier than the Model 19 I have for sale. 

The knife you see is the exact knife you will receive.  Props not included.


$600.00 shipped in the USA via USPS Priority Mail.


Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives

Randall Made Knives