Thursday, November 15, 2018

ClockSavant and why he is the best.


A couple months ago I purchased the above that had been modded by a well known Seiko watch modder.  The bezel was ghosted, the hands and dial were patinaed and what makes this watch even more special, is the day and date wheels were patinaed.  As you can see, it is a work of art.

When I received it and proceeded to set the time...the weirdest thing happened.  The day and date started to change at 5:30 a.m. and finished changing at 8:30 a.m.  There was no mention of this "feature" in the seller's description.  I contact the seller and he told me he totally forgot about that part. For a couple of moments, I thought I'd be able to live with it.  But that quickly passed.

Within 30 minutes of receiving the watch, I was in contact with the ClockSavant and outlined the issue with him.  He asked a couple questions about the provenance of the watch and the age.  I did the best I could giving him the most accurate info I could.  He opened a ticket for me and I had the watch in the mail within another hour.  He told me about a couple of issues that may be the cause, but I really just had the feeling the hands had been set improperly.

Eric, the owner of ClockSavant, is probably the most organized and anal retentive watchmaker on the planet.  I received an email the moment he opened a ticket for my repair and also had me sign onto his site to be able to check in and see any progress and see every step of the process.  That is very cool but I liked the fact that any correspondence through his site is also duplicated via email.  There is no wondering what is happening with your watch.  

He opened the watch, inspected and cleaned it a little.  Sure he could have done an overhaul, and I would have approved, but he stated that it seemed to be running with tolerance and that it would give me years of service before needing additional service.  He re-set the hands so the date changed right at midnight and then closed it up and gave it a pressure test.  It failed a couple times to get to where he wanted it, even after double checking the seals on the crown and back.  He updated me of that fact and told me that he could pull the crystal and replace those seals as well and re-test, or I could treat it like the vintage piece that it sort of is anyway and just not go diving with it.  I opted for that.

The next day I received an email alerting me to the fact the watch was on its way with tracking info provided.  It arrived quickly and was securely packaged, unlike anything I've ever seen.  Inner box, outer box, lots of packing material all in a nice sturdy box.

Bottom line is that this man takes watchmaking VERY seriously and treats the watch and the customer with equal care.  If you have a watch that you care about and find it is in need of service, don't take a chance on a "modder" or Mall jewelry store, or shade tree repair guy, The ClockSavant is the only person who should be working on your watch.

Click the link below to go to his site.


   


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home